Map Display Board
Over the last six years the crap I own has diminished GREATLY. Although it is impossible to calculate I would say I have gotten rid of 90% of what I owned in 2015. Oddly (or not), the amount of "travel memorabilia" has grown.
I added something to that collection.
I've been wanting to do this project for more than ten years now. COVID quarantine made it possible. I hate COVID. I created a board to display my maps. I love maps.
- I purchased 1/8” thick plywood from Home Depot and found someone in my neighborhood Facebook group to cut the wood into perfect 2” x 2” squares
- I sanded the edges slightly
- I looked through my maps and cut out sections that were memorable, leaving about 1” around. This was my favorite part. I laughed and cried while looking through the maps. So many great memories.
- I used matte mod podge to attach the map pieces to the wood
- I used a credit card to smooth the top
- After they dried I used a utility blade to cut off the excess
- I then applied mod podge to the top and attached magnets to the back
- I attached the map blocks to a black IKEA SVENSAS magnet board
- I hung near my bed so I could look at it every morning and dream about adding new blocks
|After the tops were dry cutting close to the edge was easy!|
- Wall hanging with license plates we collected from each of the 50 states
- Collection jars (I have well over 100)
- Room keys
- Pressed pennies