Over the last six years the crap I own has diminished GREATLY. Although it is impossible to calculate I would say I have gotten rid of 90% of what I owned in 2015. Oddly (or not), the amount of "travel memorabilia" has grown.
I added something to that collection.
I've been wanting to do this project for more than ten years now. COVID quarantine made it possible. I hate COVID. I created a board to display my maps. I love maps.
- I purchased 1/8” thick plywood from Home Depot and found someone in my neighborhood Facebook group to cut the wood into perfect 2” x 2” squares
- I sanded the edges slightly
- I looked through my maps and cut out sections that were memorable, leaving about 1” around. This was my favorite part. I laughed and cried while looking through the maps. So many great memories.
- I used matte mod podge to attach the map pieces to the wood
- I used a credit card to smooth the top
- After they dried I used a utility blade to cut off the excess
- I then applied mod podge to the top and attached magnets to the back
- I attached the map blocks to a black IKEA SVENSAS magnet board
- I hung near my bed so I could look at it every morning and dream about adding new blocks
|After the tops were dry cutting close to the edge was easy!|
Listed below are my other travel memorabilia with a link to view here:
- Wall hanging with license plates we collected from each of the 50 states
- Collection jars (I have well over 100)
- Room keys
- Pressed pennies
In case you need to hear it from a friend, if you have a "project" sitting around that you didn't get to during COVID quarantine, it probably won't happen. Release the guilt my friends and chuck the stuff.
Happy travels, and crafting so you never forget the memories! Rae Ann
Post a Comment